DIRECTOR OF MILWAUKEE BASS CHORALE
Overview: MCC is in search of a passionate choral educator/conductor to be our Director of Bass Chorale and to be an enthusiastic contributor to our artistic team. The Bass Chorale is comprised of young men ages 13-18, changed and unchanged voices. Rehearsals are held on Sunday evenings at All Saints Cathedral in Milwaukee. The Bass Chorale is an ensemble within the Milwaukee Youth Chorale. The Bass Chorale will learn appropriate repertoire for male voices as well as for mixed chorus to perform with the Treble Chorale. Together, these two ensembles comprise the Milwaukee Youth Chorale.
The Milwaukee Children’s Choir under the leadership of the Executive Artistic Director Lynn Swanson has cast a new vision for our organization that builds on the strong legacy of Founding Director Emily Crocker. We will endeavor to strengthen our presence on the international choral stage through continued collaborative efforts with the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra, the Milwaukee Ballet while seeking partnerships with other exceptional arts organizations flourishing not only in Milwaukee but around the world.
- Be a passionate and enthusiastic member of the MCC Artistic Team.
- Converse regularly, exchanging creative thoughts regarding the development of the MCC program with other directors.
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding and care for the changing boy’s voice.
- Develop and use pedagogical exercises for the transitioning voice of the young male singer.
- Recruit singers with the help of MCC staff, families, MCC Board of Directors and other music educators.
- Set semester goals and create weekly rehearsal orders for the 32-week season.
- Conduct one 2-hour rehearsal weekly, emphasizing sequential vocal development, sight-reading and theory skills using sequential music learning theory methods.
- Coordinate and conduct two all-day workshops annually and a four-day pre-season music camp.
- Present and help produce along with other staff five-six performances yearly.
- Tour annually with Milwaukee Youth Chorale – Washington D.C. 2020 / China 2021.
- Work with EAD to design and produce concert programming for the Milwaukee Youth Chorale.
- Possess a working knowledge of the progress of each singer regarding music theory, general musicianship, vocal development and behavior.
- Bachelor Degree or higher in music. A degree in music education is preferred.
- Minimum three years of experience in a music classroom setting.
- Selection of age appropriate music/choral literature.
- Strong organizational and rehearsal management skills.
- Appropriate vocal model with exceptional conducting skills.
- Ability to play keyboard for occasional rehearsals.
To apply, send cover letter with resume/CV and three references. The application should also include a video recording of a live performance or rehearsal that you conducted that include teen boys. The recording may be submitted as a YouTube link or sent as a DVD. Materials will not be returned. Finalists will receive an in-person interview with Executive Artistic Director Lynn Swanson.
Application submissions should be sent to Executive Artistic Director Lynn Swanson at:
Milwaukee Children’s Choir
427 E. Stewart St. Suite 100
Milwaukee, WI 53207 Email: [email protected]